Tuesday, August 19, 2014

ABBA


ABBA is the first ever english album that I heard in my life more than three decades ago.  After a very long time I heard the songs while driving from Salalah in July 2014.  The songs brought back lot of memories of the good old days.  National Tape Recorder, Seenu, Ramesh, Suresh, Thandavarayan Street, Cassette, English Songs, Unknown lyrics, known tune, happy singing along without knowing the words and its meaning, etc., etc.  We used to listen to these songs as a group without understanding most part of the song and were still able to enjoy.

Anni, Benny, Bjorn and Agnetha  are the four musicians who came together and formed the Group ABBA.  ABBA the album was recorded from August 1974 to March 1975.  I just cannot believe that this album was recorded 40 years ago as the songs are still very fresh and very enjoyable.  They topped the music charts worldwide for seven years in a row from 1975 to 1982.

Two couples got together and through their pop music they captivated the whole world and it is a pity that they were together as a Pop Music Group just for 10 years from 1972 to 1982.  It is so sad that they split in 1982 and their lovely music was all over in just 10 years.

I sat and listed the songs that I liked the most and here is the list of top 12 songs that I enjoyed the most:

  1. SOS
  2. Mamma Mia
  3. I do I do I do
  4. Waterloo
  5. Fernando
  6. Chiquitita
  7. Money Money Money
  8. The Winner takes it all
  9. Thank you for the music
  10. Take a chance on me
  11. Dancing Queen
  12. Eagle


ABBA music will live on and on as long as we hear music in this world.  Long Live ABBA.

T.P.Anand
Dubai, U.A.E.
19th August 2014

8 comments:

  1. Unexpected but Pleasant surprise blog.....lovely...All Time Favorite for those born during 60s.....Sriraj

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful article, Sir. You are really contributing to the society with your concerns, comments and compassionate expressions!! Keep it up!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I possess the original CD which has a cover page in Black and letters in Gold and it is one of my oldest collections

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's nostalgia, Anand.

    Sabareeswaran Chidambaram

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Anand - I never knew you were an ABBA fan. I have been one right from the mid-70s. It is extremely difficult to pick the top favourites but if one were to put a gun to my head, I would probably pick 'Waterloo' as my top pick. The surprising thing is that they did not make it big in the biggest market for Pop music - the US. But their popularity (in the US) surged after the release of their stage musical 'Mamma Mia' in 1999.

    Sridhar

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Anand,
    I am very happy to note from your email, that you recollect our old day memories by mentioning our friends

    name. In our teenage days, we used to listen ABBA Songs on the terrace of my house in Thandavarayan Street, Triplicane was unforgettable moments and still I love to hear the ABBA songs whenever I have free time.




    R.SURESH BABU

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Anand ,
    ABBA is also my favourite musical album . I remember watching this movie is sapphire theatre continuously in 81 for two shows . The songs you can still enjoy even now . I also have a lot of favorites songs . Thanks for posting the songs so Ivan hear any time


    Regards,
    Chitra Aravind

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice reading TP. Reading your stuff and listening to the music kindled my own nostalgia.

    Rajkumar

    ReplyDelete