Thursday, April 21, 2011

My Little Hut

A Hut is a thatched roof built with casurina poles and branches of coconut tree. This is a typical poor peoples home that can be seen everywhere in India.
When I was a student, pursuing Chartered Accountancy (CA) I requested my father to build a Hut for myself on the terrace of our house in Triplicane (No.13 Thandavarayan Street). My father obliged immediately and a beautiful hut was built the same week at a cost of Rs.2,400/- in 1985.

For nearly five years I used to spend my time in the Hut whenever I am at home. I used to go to the ground floor only for taking bath in the morning. My mother used to bring my breakfast, lunch and dinner to the hut. She will mix the Sambar Rice, Rasam Rice and Curd Rice and bring them to the hut.

My friends started visiting the Hut and started liking the cool ambiance in the Hut. The thatched roof with coconut tree leaves will make the room cool even during summer.

I had a big cupboard full of books for C.A. My friends started coming everyday for group study. We also had open space outside the hut in the terrace and the entire terrace space of 980 square feet was used by me and my friends for group study for CA. The daily visitors were Sathyamurthy, Sriram, Arvind, Ranganathan and there were occasional visitors like Sridhar, Margabandhu (I hope I have not missed out any names here). We also had some sudden visitors who used to come to check what we were all doing.

On seeing the regular crowd of students studying day and night, my mother started making murukku, thattai, seedai, etc. We used to get regular supply of these eatables in large stainless steel canisters.

My second brother T.P.Ashok also joined the group as he was preparing for CAIIB Exams. My first brother T.P.Ravikumar's friend Venkatraman started coming to prepare for CAIIB and soon there was a group of CAIIB students in my hut (Venkatraman, Parameswaran, Ashok).

My hut was occupied all the 24 hours by students preparing either for CA or CAIIB and it was bustling with activity for nearly two years.

We used to stay awake in the night and prepare for the Exams. We used to go for a short walk and Tea in the night. The Tea break was usually around 1 a.m. and it was a wonderful experience. Triplicane being Bachelor's Paradise the tea shops and potti kadai used to be open till 3 a.m. and they will again resume business by 5 a.m. There was a grill gate and on entering the grill gate access to the first floor

I had two folding cot, extra beds, lot of pillows and mats in my Hut.

I had lot of books - for each subject I had atleast two or three different author books. I had all the publications released by the CA Institute.
We all used to study the subjects and have frequent discussions. There were individual study sessions as well as group study sessions. It was a very healthy atmosphere.

In addition to the eatables made at home by my mother we also used to frequently prepare our own recipe. We used to buy arisi pori and mix avakkai pickle in it. We used to buy Watermelon and make fresh juice.

My father built a proper room (with cement sheet roof) at the rear end of the terrace with a small kitchen and Arvind used to stay in this portion. Whenever we needed money to buy Watermelon or Arisi Pori or other needs of the group we used to take the money from Arvind's purse. He used to get money from his father every month and we had regular supply of funds for all petty expenses from Arvind. We used to call him "Periappa".

It was close to two years that we all spent our lives in that little Hut to qualify as Chartered Accountants and my brother and his group qualified as Professional Bankers. A large group has benefited by studying in that little hut (poor man's dwelling). Thanks to the support of my family.

We have had several meetings and discussions in the Hut for social activities as most of us were also part of the Rotaract Movement at that time.

I continued to use the Hut after I qualified as a Chartered Accountant. I had my office in that Hut. My clients used to appreciate the place as it was a cool office with a nice natural ambiance.

Till I left for employment in Singapore in October 1990 I have used the Hut as my full time abode. Those five years that I spent in the Hut are truly amazing, fulfilling years which I will cherish for ever during this lifetime.

The years that I spent in my Little Hut were really memorable years. It was full of activity, fun, learning. Very Interesting, educative and truly enjoyable period of my life.

My little Hut existed till 1991 almost six years. It was dismantled after I migrated to Singapore.

I would appreciate if my friends can add their experiences in this blog.

T.P.Anand, Dubai, 21st April 2011

1 comment:

  1. TP

    You must tell about the 2 guys having a dialogue in the bus stop on Paid leave & the song you said you all loved to listen to in the hut......Please add this. Sriraj.

    ReplyDelete