Thursday, April 14, 2011

T P Anand’s Vehicles

1. Hero Cycle
2. TVS 50 XL
3. Enfield Silver Plus
4. Kinetic Honda
5. Bajaj Scooter
6. Maruti Omni Van
7. TVS Scooty
8. Maruti Esteem
9. Hyundai Santro
10. Honda Legend
11. Toyota Innova
12. Nissan Altima

This is the list of vehicles that I have possessed in my life so far in chronological order.
I have taken delivery of Nissan Altima last week which is the 12th Vehicle that I have possessed.

I have been fascinated by Vehicles right from my childhood. I used to keenly watch the vehicles that pass by in the street which was a rare sight as most of the time I used to see people going by walk in my street (Car Street in Triplicane, Chennai).

Those days there used to be Bicycle (Hercules, Hero, BSA); Motorcycle (Java; Enfield; Rajdoot) Scooters (Lambretta; Vespa) Cars (Fiat, Ambassador) Jeeps (Willys) and Lorry. When I was 10 years old I learnt to ride a bicycle. Those days you could hire a bicycle for 30 minutes by paying 25 paise. Myself and my second brother Ashok both learnt to ride a bicycle at the same time. We used to hire the cycle at the same time and go for a ride in Car Street and Singarachary Street. I once went ahead of my brother in my cycle and went close to his bicycle and made a small impact on his front wheel with my back wheel. He fell on the side and hurt himself badly and when I turned back to look at what I had done I felt very very bad. This incident is etched very clearly in my mind for the last 36 years and I feel very bad that I caused the accident and injured my brother.

From time to time I used to get a free ride on my friend’s bicycle and I quite liked the green colour bicycle with the battery operated horn and the dynamo light. Every time I borrowed the cycle from my friend I used to think of owning a bicycle someday.

From taking bicycle on hire I graduated to owning a bicycle in 1981 because of the need for a bicycle. I used to enjoy riding the bicycle. I have travelled extensively in Chennai on my bicycle covering long distances on daily basis.

In 1986 I bought TVS – 50 XL and drove the vehicle to my house from the dealer outlet. I felt like flying when I was riding on the TVS 50 XL. After cycling for so long this was a wonderful feeling.

When I was working for Sterling Resorts I bought Enfield Siver Plus in 1988.

Kinetic Honda (1989) was the most comfortable two wheeler that I have experienced and the most uncomfortable experience was with the Bajaj Scooter (1994) as I used to always struggle to change the gear.

I learnt driving a Car in Bangalore in Mani Driving School. My first Car was a Maruti Omni Van (1995). This vehicle had a large boot and my children used to always occupy the boot. It was very spacious for them to sit and play with their G.I. Joe characters. I enjoyed driving this vehicle particularly the rides between Bangalore and Chennai via Chittoor.

When I left TTK and went back to Chennai to re-start my professional practice I could afford only a TVS Scooty. For a brief period I took a Maruti 800 Deluxe (1998) on lease from a client of mine. I met with a majoraccident near Tindivanam on this car and my wife was very badly injured. We were lucky to escape alive from this accident. After 12 years this accident is still green in my memory and everytime I think of this accident I feel the shivering in my body.

I then graduated to Maruti Esteem (2000) when I took up a job in Chennai with a Software Company. Of the three Maruti Suzuki Cars that I have used I would rate this as the most comfortable Car.

While I was in Dubai there was a need for a Car back home in Chennai for my wife and Children and we jointly chose Hyundai Santro (2005). A very compact and nice car which is still being used at Chennai by my children. I enjoy driving this car whenever I am in Chennai as it is very easy to navigate.

The best car of my life came my way in Dubai – Honda Legend (2006). It is a top class luxury car with very powerful engine. I was fascinated by this Car as it had sun roof; large bucket seats in the front; big seats in the rear with reclining facility and ample leg room. I drove the car to Oman and travelled close to 1700 Kms in less than 3 days.

When I took up employment in Chennai after taking a break from Dubai I bought Toyota Innova (2008). Very smooth car and I enjoyed travelling all over Tamil Nadu in that Car for my pilgrimage tour in early 2009.

Having used Honda Legend and Toyota Innova I thought it is time to try a Nissan and that is how I decided to buy the Nissan Altima in 2010. I have driven this car only for a few days and it really feels good.

In this wonderful journey in life over the last 47 years I have also used another important vehicle – CA. My professional qualification (Chartered Accountancy) is the most important vehicle in my life which has transported me to different cities/countries, different situations, different positions and has given me all the learning and knowledge.

The Journey continues with the help of Vehicles…….

-T.P.Anand, Dubai, U.A.E.
4th April 2010

This year in March 2011 i opted for a trade-in promotion of Nissan and bought a Nissan X Terra in place of Altima.

2 comments:

  1. I like (esp) the transition between Vehicle #6 to #7 and then to #8 ...... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, probably our entry may be off topic but anyways, I have been surfing around your blog and it looks very professional. It’s obvious you know your topic and you appear fervent about it. I’m developing a fresh blog plus I’m struggling to make it look good, as well as offer the best quality content. I have learned much at your web site and also I anticipate alot more articles and will be coming back soon.




    SF Battery in Chennai

    ReplyDelete