Monday, February 13, 2012

ANCIENT INDIAN INDOOR GAMES



Now a days children are very fond of video games. There are a number of hand held devices which are full of such games like the PSP, GameBoy, etc. These games certainly help the child with improving the reflexes. I wonder if the ancient Indian Indoor games are played in the houses (either in India or Abroad) in this modern (electronic age) world.

In the olden days we used to play these ancient indoor games at home. During monsoon season we cannot go out and play and schools will also be closed due to heavy rains. This is the best time to play Indoor Games like "Paramapadam"; "Pallanguzhi"; "Aadu Puli Aattam"; "Dayakattai "; etc. I have very fondly played these indoor games during my childhood days.

For reasons unknown to me I have not taught these games to my children. The worst part is I have also forgotten the rules of these indoor games over the years as I have not been in touch with these games for almost three decades now.

Some of these games help to improve our number crunching ability. One has to think a lot before playing these games and hence it certainly sharpens our thinking process and increases the brain power. In present world we are glued on to Television sets and Digital Gadgets so much that we do not have the inclination or the time to play these ancient indoor games.

T.P.Anand
Dubai, U.A.E.
15th February 2012


No comments:

Post a Comment