Monday, February 20, 2012

Nice Mistake

Yesterday I blocked my time from 3.30 p.m. to 6.30 p.m. for a client. I reached at the client office exactly at 3.30 p.m. and came to know that the information for my review was not ready and hence my appointment was cancelled. These are common occurrences over the last few months since I chose to be an independent Management Consultant. I went to the nearby Cafeteria to have a cup of Tea and was thinking how to engage myself for the next 2 to 3 hours.

I learnt Arabic in 2011 and still not very confident of speaking in Arabic as I feel my vocabulary is very poor. I have been planning for the last several weeks to watch an Arabic Film to improve my understanding of the language. Last week I thought of going for "Omar wa Salma 3" but could not go. When I was having tea I thought of going for the Arabic Movie in Grand Cinestar. I remembered seeing the timing in the newspaper as 4.40 p.m. and hence thought there is plenty of time to reach the theatre. I enjoyed the Tea and then left for the Grand cinestar.

I reached the theatre well in advance and purchased the ticket for the Arabic Film "Omar wa Salma 3" and the counter clerk told me that it is in Screen 12. I walked over to the area and started looking at the rollup stands kept for various films. There were two entrances and I noticed two people going through the right side entrance. I thought instead of waiting outside for the next 15 minutes it is better to go and sit inside the theatre. I walked into the theatre and they were already playing the introduction about Grand Cinema. There were three others in the theatre which was a bit of a relief. I have watched several films alone in the theatre and felt lonely and hence it is nice to be in the midst of people.

After the introduction of Grand Cinema they started showing an English Film which initially I thought is the trailer. After couple of minutes I realised that they were showing the film "Man on the Ledge". I was a in a dilemma to stay back or to leave the theatre as I realised I am in Screen 11 and not Screen 12. The English Film started off in a very interesting way and I thought it is better to watch this film as it is very interesting.


From 4.15 to 4.40 I watched the film very happily and was suddenly disturbed by an Employee of the Theatre. He was verifying the tickets of all the four of us who were in the theatre. When my turn came I gave the ticket and before he could examine with his torch light I told him "I bought the ticket for Arabic Film but came here by mistake". He said "Sir, please follow me" and he led me out of the screen and quickly took me to Screen 12. There was nobody in the theatre and I was alone. As soon as I got settled in a seat they started the Arabic Film "Omar wa Salma 3".

The Arabic Film was very good with lot of humour and drama. I enjoyed watching the film though I did not understand nearly half of what they spoke. I could follow the story and the sequences well.



When I walked out of the theatre after watching the film I was very satisfied for two reasons - (a) I watched an Arabic Film for the first time in my life and enjoyed the film (b) It was a nice mistake to go into Screen 11 instead of Screen 12 as I ended up watching "Man on the Ledge" for about 20 minutes. Overall a good experience as this is the first time I am making such a mistake in life.

T.P.Anand
Dubai, U.A.E.
20th February 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment